Water – A massive change for us
The damage we did to our bodies
For years and years, I filled my body with sugary drinks. Soft Drinks, Fruit juices, Cordials, Flavoured milk, Energy drinks. Anything, as long as it’s not water. I absolutely hated drinking water, and I refused to pay for something that I can get for free. And tap water ‘yukky’.
And of course, I made sure my house had an endless supply of soft drinks. I, myself would go trough a 2 litre bottle of Coke, every single day. And any type of fizzy drink was always our choice at meal time.
When our health journey began, we pretty much had to force ourselves to drink water. It took some getting use to, but seeing the health benefits of drinking water and how drinking water will help us lose weight. We had to suck it up.
My GP gave us a list of all the bad things that drinking sugar-laden fizzy’s will do to us, if it hasn’t already.
- Our teeth will Rot – Even if we brush and clean our teeth every day and every night, the fizzy’s will rot our teeth. And that is absolutely true, because I have lost all my top teeth, and all my bottom teeth are rotten.
- Obesity – Our Doctor explained how, too much sugar will of course lead to a build up of fat, all around our bodies, and will put us at risk of getting type 2 diabetes. He told me this, just before he read my results from the bloods I had done the week before. Type 2 diabetic and morbidly obese.
- Diseases in our Bones, Livers, Kidneys and our Heart – Too much sugar causes a build up of fats that can cause all sorts of problems to our organs, skin, and even our mental health.
And we weren’t even halfway through the list. But it was enough for me to realise that the damage I was doing to not only me, but my children had to stop.
Why is drinking water good for you?
It’s really a no brainer why it’s good for you. I just didn’t like it. So I had to ease myself off the fizzy’s by drinking sparkling water. I then learnt that I could infuse my water with things like lemon or lime, mint leaves, fruits and berries.
I also learnt about all the health benefits of drinking water. I know…I should know all this right?? I guess I kind of did, but didn’t really care. But once I got my head around all the health and nutritional benefits of drinking water, It made it easier to swallow.
With our weight loss journey we found that drinking plenty of water daily;
- Boosted our Metabolism
- Flushed toxins out of our bodies
- Kept us from dehydrated
- Suppressed our appetites
- Gave us clearer and glowing skin
- Helped our bodies keep from retaining water
- Less headaches
- Helped with digestion
- Helped us save a little bit of money from buying sugar-laden drinks
From sugar-laden drinks, to water. – It was a massive change for us. It was so hard because the temptation was everywhere. And what really gets me, is the fact that, It is cheaper to buy a 2 litre bottle of soft drink than a 600ml bottle of water. crazy right.
Foods that made up our daily water intake
Imagine my surprise when a friend of mine, that I did Zumba with told me about the different types of foods that are mostly made up of water. Things like;
- Cucumbers, Celery, Radishes, Watercress, Zucchini, Lettuce
- Bok-Choy, Squash, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Asparagus
- Portobello mushrooms, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Turnips
- Broccolli, Spinach, Grapefruit, Watermelon, Strawberries
- Cantalope, Honeydew melon, Lemons, Peaches
- Blackberries, Papayas, Nectarines, Pineapples
- Plums, Oranges, Mandarins,
I quickly went out and bought me a juicing machine and a nutri-bullet. I was juicing, blending, cutting and freezing fruits, veggies and berries. We were eating soups, and making smoothies and getting really creative with our ‘full of water’ foods. Even though we had added all these different foods to our diet, we were all still drinking at least 2 litres of water a day.
My Childrens health
We all want to give our children the best start to life, and I admit, that I made some pretty bad choices when it came to the health and well-being of my children. Knowing that I contributed to their poor concentration, headaches and brain fog made me feel like I had failed them.
A child’s body is 70 – 80% water, so it is essential that our children drink clean, natural water every day. We have learnt that is we want to live a life full of vitality, we must consume food and water that is full of vitality. And, there is no cost when it comes to our childrens health.
Contaminants in our tap water
I have learnt that the quality of the water we drink is far more important than the quantity.
I was absolutely shocked horrified when I learnt that the tap water we were drinking by the gallons was not so good for us after all, especially my children, it was actually more harmful for them because of their smaller size. Finding out that the tap water was making them more vulnerable to the effects of toxins and dehydration.
Contaminants such as Chlorine, Fluoride, Copper, Mercury and arsenic, Pesticides, Bacteria and microscopic algae, OMG I thought. I might as well go back to drinking Fizzy’s. In learning all this, inspired me to research and test different water filter systems that would benefit us. But in the meantime, we just bought bottled water…
Just because the tap water looks clean and safe, you never know what nasties are lurking in it. One thing is for certain, investing in our familys health and wellness is our highest value.
Join me next time when I share my mission on finding the cleanest and healthiest water solution.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to leave a comment, or email them firstname.lastname@example.org